Reports of a possible active shooter at the Ontario Mills mall Saturday evening were false, police said.
The Ontario Fire Department tweeted between 7:26 p.m. and 7:32 p.m. it was responding after multiple calls of gunshots heard in the mall were reported and mall goers were sheltering in place. The initial Fire Department tweet was labeled ***UNCONFIRMED***
By 7:41 p.m., Ontario Police Chief Mike Lorenz tweeted the mall had been cleared and the reports of the active shooter were false.
It was unknown what caused shoppers to call in reporting gun shots. Ultimately, police said, officers had responded to a disturbance but said there was no evidence of a shooting and no injuries were reported.